Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Playing Favorites

I am Piper's favorite playmate and plaything!

Wait, did you read that? Go back and do it once more, I'll wait. *muzak plays*.

Okay, you get it now don't you? I AM HER FAVORITE!!!

I've read this line in many parenting books, articles and blogs "a child's favorite toy is their parent" and I always thought "yeah right, you've never met a kiddo with autism". Piper's first favorite toy was a bottle of mustard. Yup, I was upstaged by a mustard bottle. She took it with her everywhere in the house. She loved that darn thing! I even saw her write in the cement Piper + Mustard= BFF. Ok I'm kidding about that last part, but she really did dig the heck out of her mustard.

Fast forward about a year (aside: don't you wish you could actually do that sometimes?) and the mustard is replaced by a tire pressure gauge. Best. Toy. Ever.

This object loving perseveration continued until it settled around age three on : white kitty. A small beanie baby cat gifted to her by a cousin seemingly no different than any other stuffy except it was THE ONE. I quickly learned that no outing was complete without white kitty. Oh boy did I learn. White Kitty became the most important thing in our household aside from the people.

Until today. Today my gal asked me to play with her. YES. She. Did.

I was doing my own mommy thing per usual and picked up one of the toys I saw on the desk. It was a finger puppet she received for Christmas and I plopped it on my finger and gave it voice. "Hi I'm Marigold the Butterfly and I drink nectar". I expected the usual indifference but instead I got the present of a lifetime! She picked up the bat and joined in the pretend play. For a full half hour I had her complete and total engaged attention. WE PLAYED!

I feel like I just got an award, like I just was voted Mother of the year!

My daughter wants to play.  With me!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Mustard?!? That's hilarious!!

    You know, they say that if your child is perfectly happy playing with anybody but you that means you've done a great job of instilling self confidence and independence in them.

    Yeah, I call horseshit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously doing the happy dance over here!!! That's a miracle!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ A&A right? tooo awesome!
    @ Jilsmo it was really funny! it was just as she was walking so it was a traveling bottle and sometimes I'd find it in the funniest places! And yes I call BS.
    @ RHM Bust a move! I've been dancing for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. woohooo!!! total engaged attention - such a sweet thing, right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Hooray for playing with your girl. I also love that she loved a mustard bottle. That's pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so wonderful. Puppets work wonders with my little man to engage with him.

    ReplyDelete